Your headline is the most important aspect of your text. 8 out of 10 people won’t read past the headline.
Here are 5 hints on writing headlines that search engines and users will appreciate.
- Keep it short but meaningful.
- Front load. Include a keyword, and place it at the front if possible.
- Make the content obvious.
- Make sure it can stand alone and that it doesn’t need an image to give it context. Often headlines are read out of context in lists or on a search page.
- Give it a hook – “5 hints to ….” or “4 ways to …”
Two websites that work hard at their headlines: